I’ve missed you!
We received a message from our friend, Mia! She says, “acorns are very underrated, and I wonder if you any nutritional meals I can make with acorns”
… hence, we will be using acorn as our main ingredient today!
We are going to make steamed SEASONED ACORN JELLY. Feels avant-garde! READY?
Fun fact: In the 17th century Korea, a juice extracted from acorns was administered to habitual drunkards to cure them of their condition or else to give them strength to resist another bout of drinking.
- half a cup of acorn jelly powder
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the seasoning sauce:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon of honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks of green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of hot pepper flakes
- 1.5 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds (add right before serving so they don’t lose their crispiness)
- garnish with shredded red pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the acorn jelly powder, water and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon and strain to remove any lumps. Pour the mixture into a thick bottomed pot and stir over medium heat about 7-8 minutes until it bubbles.
- Lower the heat and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a rectangular glass container and let it cool.
- Put the mixture into the fridge for about 4-7 hours until it’s solid.
- Begin to create the seasoning sauce by combining soy sauce, honey, hot pepper flakes, garlic, and sesame oil in a mixing bowl. Then, set aside.
- Take the acorn jelly out of the fridge. Turn the glass container upside down over your cutting board so the solidified jelly slides out in one piece. Cut into bite sized pieces (2 in x 1 in and 1/4 in thick).
- Put the bite sized acorn jelly pieces inside the mixing bowl of seasoning sauce, then gently mix all together by hand.
- Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle sesame seeds and serve.
Simple! Thank you for cooking with me, and tune in again soon for more quick & healthy recipes!
P.S.: Skin Food offers an organic product made with acorn! Remember, for each product you purchase from Skin Food, $1 will go to the Skin Cancer Foundation (SCF) for melanoma research. Visit our website here to purchase, or visit the Skin Food store near you!
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A REAL CAMPAIGN. THIS IS A PROJECT FOR MY ADVERTISING & SOCIAL MEDIA CLASS AT UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO. I DO NOT WORK FOR SKIN FOOD.